Thursday, December 2, 2010

Over 1 month with Gemma!!




Cant believe Gemma has been with us for over a month now!! That paper chase is a very distant memory. Gemma was so happy to get off those planes and see her forever home. We walked through the front door and she walked right in and plopped down on and couch and said Awwwwwwwww!! After resting for a few minutes she wanted the grand tour of her new home.

All her siblings have been so excited and have welcomed Gemma with open arms. If anyone is having a little bit of a hard time it is Ava. Not so much because of Gemma but just missing us so much when we were gone, it was very hard on her.

Watching Chinese cartoons with Gemma


Two days after coming home we made a trip to the dentist. Normally I would not have done that so soon. But Gemma had been complaining of her teeth hurting in China and asked to see a dentist. I could tell she had some major rot and abscessed teeth. She also had 5 broken adult teeth from a fall at school earlier in the year. She did get a little nervous not sure what was going to happen. We had a dear friend of ours explain it to her in Mandarin. They did an exam and cleaning and she did great!! She did give my hand a big squeeze a few times but she was very brave. Well the verdict was 12 cavities, 2 teeth to be removed, 3 root canals, and 5 broken teeth that need major reconstruction. The day we left China Gemma starting throwing up a couple times a day, then we thought it was nerves but now we know it was from the infections in her mouth. She continued to throw up until we got her on antibiotics for the abscessed teeth.


She has had half the work done already on her teeth and she is very happy. We are taking a month break then in January we will start the reconstruction of the broken teeth. She is such a brave girl and we are very proud of her.

Gemma has been a very obedient little girl. She has said NO a few times but I believe it was just a little testing in the beginning and there have been a few times she was not happy with me and gave me ugly looks. Overall she seems to be very happy in her new family. She loves giving hugs and tells us Thank you and love you often. Language has not been a problem at all, this girl is an expert at charades and the translator on the ipod has helped too. Like I said before we also have a couple of good friends that speak Mandarin that have been a great help too. Not just with translating when needed but with teaching me how to cook some of Gemma's favorite Chinese food.

One week after being home Gemma also started a local Sunday Chinese language school. It is 2 hours every Sunday and she loves it and looks forward to it every week. It is very important to us that she keeps her native language and we hope this helps.

Gemma has also been begging to go to school with her brothers. We have not decided when that will happen but I think she would thrive in it and it is what she is use to. In china she attend a private school and was in 3rd grade. She was a very good student and loves school.

The hardest thing so far for Gemma is driving in a car. She hates it. We live way out in the country and it is 7 miles just to the nearest store. So we spend a lot of time in the car every day.

She has enjoyed Skyping with her friend Faith from China that was adopted at the same time. Gemma also used QQ to talk with her older foster brother in China.

About 2 weeks after being home she begged to get her ears pierced. So she has some pretty flower earrings in her ears and loves them.

We just cant believe how well things have gone. We have not had any meltdowns or any major challenges. Thank God!!! I know it is still early but I would be surprised if serious issues started now.

I will say we had some tears last night. She became sad and got in a funk for a few hours. I ask her why she was sad and she said she missed Chinese food. She was downstairs crying and I did not know because I was cooking dinner. Keaton came up and told me Gemma was crying. I think it did not help because my husband left on his first business trip after coming home and I think it hit Gemma hard to have him gone. Momma gave lots of hugs and told her to talk to me so I can help her. Told her I loved her and wanted her to be happy in her new family. She was good to go after that!

She eats everything we serve and always clears her plate and asks for more. Gemma loved our Thanksgiving feast she was very curious as Sean and I cooked and prepared in the kitchen. She had seconds on mashed potatoes and gravy and many leftovers for days! ha Thanksgiving was just the 8 of us. When we were done eating Gemma ask when the party was starting and when family and friends would be coming! ha I told her not this year it was just us, she was a little disappointed.

Helping with Thanksgiving dinner and enjoying the meal


The cold is also another thing she is not happy about. She hates being cold but loves to watch the snow through the window and gets very excited. She did go out in it once but it lasted less than 5 minutes!

I can honestly say the hardest thing since being back is Ava. She missed us so much when we were gone. All her nighttime issues have come back full force. She will all the sudden start crying and say she is glad we are back and does not want us to ever leave again. Her anxiety is off the charts with us leaving a room or going anywhere. The night waking is back to 2 plus times a night and has been very draining on us. It was very traumatic for her having us gone. There is no way we could have taken her, she cant even handle a 1 hour flight to Phoenix let alone 15 hrs to China. We made the best decision at the time and hopefully we can get her broken heart through this process.

Tonight a got another amazing hairdo that out did the one in China!! Compliments of Gemma, Keaton and Ava, this one truly should win an award!!


Gemma will sit for hours doing her barbies hair. I think a nice big doll with long hair will be on the list for Santa! She loves to draw and watch her Chinese cartoons too.

I will also honestly say it has been a little hard on me. I did not realize how much I would miss not having the cuddly little baby or toddler like with Ava. You have to be much more creative with starting attachment and bonding. Luckily Gemma does let me do everything for her so we are on the right track!

I hope I did not bore you to tears and sorry it was all over the place. This is why it took me so long to do an update, my thoughts are just all over the place and major Mommy brain these days!! We are so blessed with our new daughter/sister.

Ava and the outfit she picked for the day!!


15 comments:

Denise Grover Swank said...

Thanks for the update! Gemma is beautiful and sounds like she is doing wonderfully!!! YAY!

Sorry to hear poor little Ava is having trouble. This too shall pass. Don't worry, you're doing the best you can.

Casey said...

I am so glad to read that everyone is adjusting so well! Gemma is adorable. Poor sweetie with the teeth!! I had one tooth that got infected once and I thought I would die. I can't believe she was doing so well in so much pain. Brave girl!! Glad to hear she is on her way to healthy teeth.

I hear ya on the Ava part... Liam was about her age I think when we went to China and he was a wreck about us being gone. Missed his routines and was so anxious about us not coming back. It took a little while but he settled back into the normal routine.

Sounds like you all are doing amazing!! Thinking of you.

Football and Fried Rice said...

What a great update, April! It was perfect & the pictures are very sweet! it is so nice to hear about "reality" and the struggles that (have to) come along with grafting in. It's encouraging because then you actually SEE the progress when it happens!

Poor Gemma with her teeth! That's scary & I am glad that she is already half way 'there'!! Everyone will be thankful when she feels better because she IS better!

Sweet Ava. I can imagine it's hard becaused it's time consumming...having a new member in the family. Not to mention you being gone for so long. Praying that God will give Ava a peace in her heart - that the more things change, the more they stay the same. And there's plenty of love to go around.

Keep the updates coming!

Shonni said...

It sounds like she is doing very well. I am so glad for you all...
and by the way,
by daughters love to do those things to my hair also...LOL

Gwen said...

Thanks for the update! It's good to see you all home together and to hear how Gemma is doing. :)

jennifer said...

I was so happy to read your update. I have wondered how things have gone since you've been home. Poor Ava. They just don't understand. She will rebound, I'm sure, but I wonder if you'll ever get to leave town again ;)

I can't believe Gemma needed so much dental work. That is so sad! Sad to think of how sick she would have been in China because of them.

So glad things are going so well. With each new child, I always seem to lose some more of my brain, so I do get the "mommy brain" syndrome. Hope you get to start sleeping full nights soon. That does a world of good!!

Thanks for the update!
Jennifer

LedaP said...

Rapunzel is the perfect doll!! I'm getting the Rapunzel head from Disney store. LOL.

Totally jealous on your no meltdowns or tantrums because that's pretty much daily around here...or every other at least! Sheesh.

Serving the King said...

She looks beautiful! Love the pierced ears....and your lovely kid made hair do! :) Thanks for the info about the app, I have cut, pasted and categorized nearly all of your travel blog into a word doc to bring with us as I am sure it will come in great handy. I hope that's ok! The detail was so, so much appreciated as I have never been there before! So glad Gemma is settling in so well, she's such a cutie!

Shanna said...

So excited to get a Gemma update. I know how hard those first few months can be, but you all seem to be doing terrific! I wish that y'all live here in the South, because hubby would be thrilled and honored to fix Gemma's teeth. Poor baby! I know that is so much to go through :(
Kai was a mess the first few months after bringing Chloe home. He was so used to being the center even in our big family. Ava will get there too. Just hang in there!! You are doing an amazing job. You have so much love and compassion in your family. You have set great examples for all your kiddos.
Big hugs to you!

Steffie B. said...

Loved the update....I read every single word....taking in as much wisdom as possible for our upcoming journey.....I'm so glad it is going well.....and I pray sweet Ava calms down soon!

Lauren said...

Heather -

I am so glad I came across your blog! (through Heather Fender)

Your family is so precious & the girls are gorgeous!

Lauren

Chris said...

So happy that Gemma is adjusting well!

She is simply lovely!

I feel so badly for her concerning all her dental work, poor baby!

Your Ava sounds like my Shea...
after we came back from China with Avery this past January, Shea began waking up in the night (again) to make sure I was still in my bed.

It is getting better. :)

Thanks for the update!

Carmen said...

Love to hear about an older child adoption. I am in my 50s and still dream of bringing another child home.

De Lucchi Family Treasures said...

Hi there, what a lovely update and I love the funky hairstyle too.
A friend of mine adopted a 9 year old last summer and went through very similar struggles. It does get better, so hang on in there. MAke sure you take some time sut for Ava too. Poor Gemma with her teeth - so much work. My husband is a dentist, feel free to email if you have any questions or need a second opinion. Your girls are beautiful. Merry Christmas
God Bless
Jules
xxx

Jean said...

So thankful it is all going well! She seems to be happily adjusting to her new home and family! What a blessing!

Thank you for sharing her progress with us!!

 
© Mei Meis and Mayhem