Monday, February 22, 2010

The difference between Boys and Girls & a Great friend


(boy #4 Keaton, Ava and my nieces)


I have a dear friend Ann that I have know for 13 years now. She has been my mentor for adding a child to our family via adoption.

Almost 13 years ago I had just had my #2 baby boy and I was nursing exclusively. I had a over production of milk, a major over production of milk. Not only did I nurse my baby boy 24/7 I also pumped over 60 ounces of milk at day!!! Yes, I felt like a dairy cow!!

I hated throwing it down the drain so I froze every last ounce of that liquid gold. By the time my son was 6 months old I had filled my entire freezer!! I did not want it to go bad so I starting calling around to the hospitals and other organizations to find out if I could donate it. In the process of making calls I found out there was this gal on the other side of town that was getting ready to bring her first baby home from Korea. A beautiful 5 month old baby girl with unrepaired cleft lip and palette.

I called her and introduced myself. I told her about all the milk I had in the freezer and I heard she was looking for a possible donor. She came by and brought 2 of her 4 bio children and her beautiful new baby girl. I answered a few questions for her and showed her I was not at high risk for anything and we got to know each other. She brought a cooler and we filled it to the brim!! ha I dont even remember how many times we filled that cooler.

Her sweet baby girl received over 60 ounces of milk from me a day for over 6 months. It was such a blessing. We became friends fast and enjoyed each other families.

Fast forward 2 1/2 years later I had boy #3. And yes I had too much milk again. At the same time Ann had just arrived home with a precious baby boy from Korea. Guess what?? You guessed it I passed the extra milk to her new baby!!

Ann now has 8 precious children and still my mentor for raising a big family and now adopting an older child. She bought home Vu from Vietnam 2 years ago at almost 7 years old.

I also sadly watched her family lose a son to cancer at the age of 21, two years ago. I had already moved out of state but kept in touch via email and phone.

Ann has an amazing blog that I love to read. I learn so much from her blog but mostly she always makes me laugh. She and her hubby have built the most amazing family and the greatest kids. You can follow Ann's blog here.

This is copied from her blog. I laughed so hard I just had to share!! Enjoy
(sorry if you might be offended by the text)


By: crazy for kids


FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 5, 2010


The Difference Between Boys and Girls

Recently, my daughters and I and a couple of their friends (girls) were driving to the store. Suddenly, we noticed the worst smell! It wasn't a skunk! It wasn't a barnyard! It wasn't the water treatment plant--but it did smell similar.

A couple of the girls started pointing fingers at each other followed by embarrassment and "she who smelt it, dealt it" comments. I looked in the rearview mirror and Kim's friend looked like she might cry.

Suddenly, I was inspired by a new family and friends rule. I threw it out to the girls and we all agreed it was an awesome rule:

When a gas-like odor emits, instead of pointing the finger at someone else, we will ALL say in unison, "IT WAS ME!"

We all agreed it was the ultimate in kindness. We all thought it was a great new rule, laughed and practiced saying, "It was me!"

A couple of days later we were in the car again. This time it was my daughters and my two youngest sons. Sure enough, that familiar gas-like odor appeared. Vu said, "Yuck! Who FARTED?!!" The girls and I proudly announced in unison, "It was me!" We laughed.

Then, Patrick said irritably, "No, it was ME."

The girls and I laughed again and put out a trio of, "It was me!" We tried to explain that it was going to be our new family rule, so nobody would feel embarrassed or unjustly accused.

"But it WAS me!!" Patrick boldly declared, "I FARTED and I want everyone to KNOW it was MY FART!"

I began to say something when Vu interupted with, "Mom, it WAS Patrick's fart and you should let him have his own fart."

Hmmmmm.

Therein lies the difference between boys and girls.


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just had a son with cleft lip and palate. Through all of our research, we learned about Love Without Boundaries. I am so happy to have found your blog! We hope to adopt a cleft baby in the next year or two. God bless you!

Ann said...

Sweet memories dear friend. You will always be an angel to our family for the love you showed to your first two adopted (milk) babies. A part of you lives in them and it is probably why they are so healthy and happy!

Kim said...

Incredible! Yet another thing we have in common. I too was a "Dairy Queen" and gave my extra "liquid gold" milk to a local mother who had just brought home her domestically adopted daughter. Funny how those seeds bore fruit for us both in later years!
Love & Blessings from Hong Kong,
Kim

TanyaLea said...

OH MY WORD!...that is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO "STINK'IN" funny! (Pun intended!!) LOL!

Seriously...that is one of the major differences between boys and girls. Girls are so modest about things like that, and boys proudly take claim. If you have a boy, then you surely know of anything to do with farts, belches, boogers, etc... all of those things make boys laugh like no other! SO funny!!!

Great post and a great friend...that clearly goes in both directions. I love how God brought you into her life. How neat that you donated your excess milk. I remember that clearly happening to me with Dawson, only the mega excess went away after a few days...thank God, as it HURT!!! ;)

Blessings and Hugs,
~ Tanya

Unknown said...

You are so amazing!
Tears are in my eyes for what you've done for others!

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness, that is the funniest story I have heard in a long time! Thanks so much for sharing your friends post!!!

Also, so amazing you were able to bless others with your overproduction. I'm sure they were thankful that you were like a dairy cow :)

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

lol....that is SO FUNNY!!! Having a twelve year old boy, I can truly appreciate this post:)

Ann said...

I put up a post on my blog thanking you for being the milk angel for my kids! Sweet memories!

Dita said...

What an amazing story of generosity, friendship and the gift of health....love it AND laughed like heck at the story of your friend's family pact!

 
© Mei Meis and Mayhem